Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Christine Daae Masquerade Dress

I have a lot of creative energy and no projects that can hold my attention so I thought I'd try to catch up on my blog.

Back in February I attended a masquerade ball set in 1870 Paris at the opening of the opera house. The ball was set up in such a way that everybody attending had to have an identity of someone who would have been old enough to attend a ball in 1870. They could be historical figures such as Queen Victoria or fictional characters from The Phantom of the Opera. I was lucky enough to receive Christine Daae's identity for the evening. In case you don't know The Phantom of the Opera is a novel, a stage production, as well as a movie. I have seen a recording of the stage production at Royal Albert Hall (if I recall correctly) and the 2004 movie with Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler. Naturally, I had to have a gorgeous dress to match my identity...

This is what I was trying to create. Ambitious, I know, especially for an amateur seamstress but it turned out fairly well in the end.


The dress itself has more of a late 1860's silhouette but I think its acceptable. In order to achieve the proper shape I started with foundation garments which I will describe in the next post.

Stay Beautiful <3



No comments:

Post a Comment