Monday, July 14, 2014

Christine Daae Bodice

I didn't have enough money to buy a pattern for the bodice so I had to figure out how to make my own pattern. I found a tutorial on drafting a sloper (I think that's what its called). Its basically a bodice that fits close to your body and has a high neckline. It's a stepping stone. Once you have your sloper you can then add or take away to create the right neckline, hemline, etc. I lowered the neckline and made sure the bottom front angled to a point. I used lining, interfacing, an invisible zipper, and the same satin as I used for the skirt. I would suggest adding just a little bit of boning to the front to make the bodice lay smoother. Essentially, I used the same construction method as the corset with on alteration. Rather than sewing the sides and leaving the top and bottom open, I sewed the top and bottom and left the sides. The shoulder seams should be the last things sewn together. I put the zipper in upside down because it wasn't a separating zipper and I needed the waist to be able to come apart so I could fit it over my shoulders.

 I used three different kinds of lace trim to decorate the bodice. I would suggest for the largest lace to use lace fabric. Trace the neckline of your bodice onto the lace and then from there create your desired shape. The trim tends to curl up and that is not attractive. I just layered the smaller trim on top. I also gathered and layered some tulle and attached them to the underside of the shoulder straps. I plan to work on those and make them a little more professional than they are right now.
And pics from the masquerade....




 I hope you enjoyed this little series.
Stay Beautiful <3

No comments:

Post a Comment