Friday, July 11, 2014

Christine Daae: Skirt and Bustle

For the skirt I used pink costume satin and white tulle, about 8-9 yards of each. I used the same pattern I used for the petticoat. Truly Victorian 1865 Elliptical Skirt - TV247.

Similar to the corset I made two skirts, one out of satin and one out of tulle. I stitched them together along the top edge and then added the waistband.
I placed some thick elastic in the waistband to add some stiffness. The first part of the waistband was sewn on the sewing machine but the inside edge I stitched by hand.



The bustle consisted of two large rectangles of satin and tulle (like the skirt), what looks like a rectangle with a semi-circle added to one end, and three small rectangles similar to the waistband. In order to keep the tulle and satin together I placed one piece of tulle on top of one piece of satin and folded under the edges a quarter inch all the way around and then just stitched around the edge. Repeat. The small rectangles were folded in half right sides facing each other and then the sides were sewn. Both of the rectangles were gathered at the top and bottom and the other one was only gathered along the top straight edge. At the top of the bustle, the first tier was sandwiched in a rectangle just like the waistband. The first and second tier were joined in pretty much the same way but there was more fabric sew through. The second and third tiers were sewn together in the same way. I had to sew the tiers together by hand. Each garland was wired and taped together with floral wire and floral tape. I used roses, peonies, and a dahlia in shades of pink and some peach. I hope to find a large pink rose for the bottom tier rather than the current flower in the center.

The top tier is connected to the bottom edge of the bodice by 2-4 hooks and eyes. The other two "joints" (where the flowers are) have light pink ribbon sewn on to each end and they tie around four small jump rings sewn onto the skirt at two different heights. The  three top roses are sewn onto the top joint. The other two garlands are tied to the same jump rings as their corresponding joints with the same colored ribbon.

I had a lot of help making this entire costume from watching YouTube user Traybuff's videos of her Christine Daae dress.

Stay Beautiful <3



No comments:

Post a Comment